Martin has extensive class teaching experience and is a professional artist.
Originally from Chicago, USA, Martin Schmandt worked as a class teacher in two Waldorf schools in the USA and UK for over 20 years. In the recent decade, he has also started mentoring Waldorf teachers in various countries. In addition to teaching, he is passionate and experienced about working with teachers and adults in art.
He joined IWS in 2022 as Education Coordinator, a role in which he supports and coordinates the development of pedagogical excellence throughout the entire school.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, summa cum laude, Drake University, 82
- Instructor in Art, Washington University in St Louis, ‘84-‘88
- Master of Fine Arts in Painting, (Temple Fellow) Tyler School of Art of Temple University, ‘84
- Certificate in Waldorf Education, Rudolf Steiner College, California, ‘91
- Class Teacher at Live Oak Waldorf School, California, ‘91-‘94
- Diploma, Artemis School of Speech and Drama, London, ‘98
- Teacher in adult education (drama, art), ‘98-‘02
- Master of Arts in Creative Writing, distinction, Sussex University, ‘01
- Class Teacher at the oldest Waldorf school in the UK, ’02-‘19
- Teacher Trainer and Mentor in Waldorf Schools in the UK and China, ‘13-‘22
- With IWS since ’22